Gredu - EduTech
Gredu is an EdTech Startup in Indonesia who provides all systems needed by schools from enrollment, literacy, school management system, and payment. Basically, there are 7 UI Designer and 1 UI/UX Designer (me) that handle more than 6 products that consist of Web Apps and Mobile Apps (Android & iOS).
Improved overall design quality, fasten the UI crafting phase while teaching juniors simustaneously, get the buy-in for future design system dedicated team.
UI/UX Designer, Project Lead.
It took roughly 4 months for the this MVP which is cover scalable UI Kit and design guideline for 1 of our mobile app.
Sketch App, Abstract, Jira, Trello, GatbsyJS+Netlify.
Observed how designer and engineer work, how they handle task right from they start designing up to deliver design handoff with its versioning.
I did some desk research how other companies at various level handle their design deliverables. I also did heuristic review to existing design.
After conducting some research about the scalable structure and what tools should be used I decided to go with Sketch App & Abstract as the design and collaboration tools. Here is the library chain in Abstract App.
With modularity in scalability in mind I come with several concepts and end up with this one.
Put every foundational element in separate files to make it easier to maintain. Using a unified style for all products.
Unfortunately, the previous structure seems not working well since some product’s style can not be merged. For instance, teacher app which has the least feature using bigger type scale and bigger components size when student app has condensed components with smaller type scale.
These boxes represent a project in Abstract. Every single product uses the centralized foundation that covers:
Here is the revised library chain, using a single design foundation library that called by each product. This way, each product could have its adjusted style while maintaining the core or design foundation that keeps products in line with the company's design language.
I got rejected couple times by the PMs because they don’t really understand the urgency. At this point, I have to work in silent for a while to make the prototype of my solutions.
I managed to pitch in front of those stakeholders at our quarterly meetings. Eventually, after showing that benefits overcome the efforts in business perspective I got support from the board directors.
However, I still have to work on my daily tasks from PMs.
The team need a design system that sets the guideline for designers, engineers, and writers to work and collaborate faster yet produce high-quality deliverables.
However, it was way too big and unrealistic at that moment to start with all products at the same time
I decided to start with the student app (iOS & Android) for the first MVP with a scalable foundation for the rest of the product line up.
As a starting point, I aimed to develop the foundation and refine existing student app components.
Layer styles, Icons, Illustrations, Typography
Student App Components:
App bars, Buttons, Chips, Dialogs, Selection Controls, Tabs, etc.
Speaking about design foundation, it's a must to understand the current language and what's works and what's not.
Probably, this is the most tedious part, we have dive into every single artboards to collect and sort current assets ranging from icons, illustrations, buttons, forms, type sizes, colors, etc.
Here are some examples of problem in UI perspective:
Here is the full version of what Design System page that company needs, obviously, it's not gonna be built in the first iteration.
This is the example of the design system portal once every single product guidelines are developed.
Since the goal at this release is focused on student app, I aimed to deliver UI Kit and design guidelines with scalability in mind.
Ideally, each platform should get tailored design since they have their own interaction pattern. However, due to the lack of resources, the team decided to go with unified components that fit both Android and iOS app with minimum adjustment as possible.
Using nested symbol for every single component. With this structure, we just have to make the changes in foundations and respective components then the rest will be updated, this way everything will easier to maintain and make designers can focus on problem-solving and innovation rather than doing tiring repetitive works.
Unified icon style, grouped into relevant categories, and defined icon specs.
Divided into base, tint, container, and border layer style.
Created new naming system, button sizes, new type of buttons, and defined how and when to use each type.
Provide every possible states of input text.
Here are some comparisons between before and after the refinement.
Refined micro copy, button, contrast, and hierarchy.
Student's performance screen
Simplified color context and overall accessibility.
Improved hierarchy, grouping, and colored text usage
Improved hierarchy and overall accessibility
Improved hierarchy and overall accessibility
Since our engineers quite hectic at that time, I decided to code the website from scratch by myself. I created the static site using GatsbyJS and hosted it on Netlify.